Friday, February 29, 2008

Jennifer Casady Jewelry Designer

Jennifer Casady Jewelry
Because understated elegance never goes out of style

Chainmaille
Chainmaille was originally used in medieval times to make flexible armor that couldn't be penetrated by swords. It is made of interlocking metal rings. There are many different patterns or weaves, the most popular being 4-in-1. This means that every ring is connected to four other rings. It makes a lightweight covering that flows like cloth.

The 4-in-1 weave and it's variations (6-in-1 and 8-in-1), are generically classified as European weaves. The European family of weaves is the most commonly known, and the easiest to create. So most of the Chainmaille you'll see in the Lord of the Rings movies is made with European weaves.

Jennifer uses Chainmaille in a lot of her jewelry, and it gives her work that extra touch of elegance and style, like this necklace:

jewelry designer
Ocean's Away Necklace
These beautiful Lampwork Beads by Caroline of Crafted Gems have me daydreaming about clear blue water, palm trees swaying in the breeze and white sandy beaches...oceans away from where I am.
8x10mm Lampwork Beads on sterling silver circles that have been delicately hand woven in the Jen's Pind Chainmaille pattern.

Lampwork Beads
are made by melting glass rods in the flame of a torch, and winding them around a metal mandrel to form a bead. There are many exceptionally talented Lampwork Bead artists. I don't think I've ever seen a Lampwork Bead used in a ring, and this one is gorgeous:

designer ring
Lampwork Bead Ring
A beautiful pink Lampwork Bead wrapped in Sterling Silver

Artist Statement
I began my jewelry fascination when I was a little girl while attending gem shows with my parents and grandparents. As I grew older, I enjoyed going through my Mom's jewelry and listening to her tell me stories of where and when she received each piece. My father traveled around the world with his job, and he bought strands of gemstones to bring home. He taught himself how to make knotted jewelry, and made beautiful necklaces and bracelets for my grandmother, my mother, and me. Several members of my extensive family make their own jewelry, some of them have done so for many years.

I use various techniques - stringing, wire wrapping, and most recently, the ancient art of Chainmaille. Every gemstone is unique, and I want to express that individuality and beauty in my designs. My style tends to be somewhat conservative, as that is who I am and what I prefer. I believe jewelry is an accessory, an adornment, something to highlight and frame a woman's face, not to distract.

SOURCE
Jewelry by Jennifer CasadySee full article.

Related Entries:

Jewelry Career Resources - 08 August 2006

Jewelry Designer for Princesses - 08 March 2007

Designer Jewelry by Rhonda Reagan - 16 January 2008

Donna D'Aquino Jewelry Designer - 25 February 2008




Contents of this feed are a property of Creative Weblogging Limited and are protected by copyright laws. Violations will be prosecuted. Please email us if you'd like to use this feed for non-commercial activities at feeds - at - creative-weblogging.com.


Read More...

[Source: The Jewelry Weblog]