Friday, April 25, 2008

Dawn Vertrees Jewelry Designer

Dawn Vertrees must have a special eye that enables her to look at a plant or a flower, to translate that image in her mind to a drawing on paper, to create a wax model of that drawing using wax sheets and wax wire that can then be transformed into a rubber mold, then cast in silver with the minutest detail, so that us poor untalented folk can adorn our necks, wrists, and fingers with perfect replicas of flora that only Mother Nature can create. I am in awe.

It has to be magic. But, as it is with all master magicians, you can't see the sleight of hand.

jewelry designer
Pink Quartz Dogwood Slider Pendant

For twenty-five years, Dawn worked as a graphic designer and in the family business of designing trade show exhibits. A desire to try something new led her to create decorative soaps and lotions, but that still wasn't what she really wanted to do.

jewelry techniques
Gemstone and Leaf Rings
Shown in London Blue Topaz, Garnet, and Peridot Gemstones
"One thing I really like about this ring design are the weaved stems on the inside of the band and although most people will not see the inside of the ring, detail is a personal thing with me. I want to design the jewelry to look as if I went outside picked up fifteen leaves and weaved them together for a ring."

After experimenting with porcelain pottery, Dawn finally found her niche - jewelry making. Using everything from dental tools to heat pens, she meticulously cuts and shapes detailed leaves and flower petals out of thin wax sheets.

Then she creates her lovely floral necklaces, bracelets, and rings from these wax components - building each design, leaf by leaf, petal by petal. When she's happy with the piece, she has it cast in sterling silver.

This is where the magic begins, with a drawing:
designer jewelry
Drawing of Orchid and Pearl Pendant
Dawn says: "I'm not sure what goes on in my head when I start designing one of my orchid pieces but when I see those little Phalas (orchids)...it's like looking at little faces and they are all saying...don't forget me."

Artist Statement
Born and raised in North Carolina, I was surrounded by artistic talent from an early age. The first thing I hope you'll notice about my work is the wonderful detail and faithful reproduction of every small detail I put into each piece, but I also hope that you will see the personality that I try to give each piece that brings it to life.

I started sculpting jewelry originally from porcelain. This medium allowed me to sculpt very fine detail, yet shape my leaves and flowers in a very natural and realistic way. However, porcelain proved itself to be somewhat fragile.

The solution was Sterling Silver! So I have successfully applied my sculpting techniques to sterling silver, producing flowing, natural designs. I have found a wonderful outlet for my artistic talents in designing and sculpting my unique jewelry. Every day is a new adventure, and every customer a new friend.

You can see all of Dawn's wonderful creations at her Ruby Lane Store. She even has a blog, Dawn Vertrees.

There, you will find some of the most unique and beautiful jewelry you've ever seen. The detail she creates with every piece is amazing.See full article.

Related Entries:

Jewelry Career Resources - 08 August 2006

Jewelry as Designer DNA - 13 September 2006

Couture Jewelry Awards - 04 March 2007

Jewelry Designer for Princesses - 08 March 2007

Alexis Bittar Jewelry Designer - 14 April 2008

Lori Bonn Jewelry Designer - 17 April 2008




Contents of this feed are a property of Creative Weblogging Limited and are protected by copyright laws. Violations will be prosecuted. Please email us if you'd like to use this feed for non-commercial activities at feeds - at - creative-weblogging.com.


Read More...

[Source: The Jewelry Weblog]